This is a great place to start if you’re new to the blog and looking for financial resources and tools.
Below you will find the main categories of the blog and popular topics within them:
- Personal Finance - Practical personal finance tips to help you spend wisely, get out of debt, save more money and invest for the future.
- Career and Work - Tips and ideas to make forward progress and prove faithful in career and work.
- Entrepreneurship and Business - Entrepreneurship and small business tips to take your ideas to the next level and be your own boss. This category also includes ways to make extra money, including blogging and online business.
- Christian Stewardship and Giving - Learn Christian financial stewardship principles and how to be more generous with time and money.
- Money Management Software - This category is a personal favorite of mine. This is where I write about the best money management software to help you budget your money, track spending and plan for the future.
- Product Reviews - Financial product reviews so you can find the right products to help you manage your money better.
- How to Start a Budget - Guide to help you create a budget and track your spending
- Get Out of Debt Guide - A guide to help you create a plan to getting out of debt
- Christian Personal Finance - Overview of Christian personal finance, basic scriptures and article links
- Guide to Playing the Grocery Game - Guide to get started playing The Grocery Game
Money Management Software
You Need a Budget (YNAB) - YNAB continues to serve as a great budgeting software application for my wife and me. We use it to budget our money each month and track spending. I also use the reporting features to see how much we spend on average for budget categories such as food/groceries, entertainment and more. This helps me insure we’re budgeting enough money, or helps us consider reducing expenses.
- Best Money Management Software
- Free Money Management Software
- Envelope Budgeting Software
- Best Money Management Software for Mac
- Best Online Debt Tools
Banking & Credit
I thought I would share the financial institutions we currently use for checking and savings. These aren’t the institutions you’ll see on the corner of a busy intersection. They’re online!
ING Orange Savings (now Capital One 360) – I’ve chosen to use ING Orange Savings for our short-term and emergency savings needs. They offer a much better interest rate (although, rates aren’t great right now) than you’ll get at your local bank because they minimize costs as an online bank. It’s easy to transfer money back and forth between my Perkstreet account and ING. I like to have my savings account a separate institution. Typically the further away from me the better!
Find more checking accounts by visiting my best online checking accounts page.
- Best High Yield Savings Accounts
- Best Online Savings Accounts
- Best CD Rates
- Best Children’s Savings Accounts
- Best Money Market Accounts
- Best Mortgage Rates
Additional Credit and Banking Resources
- Credit Scores – Overview of credit scores and how to get your credit scores for free.
- Credit Cards – Follow these basic credit card spending tips and find a credit card.
Additional Investing Resources
- You can also visit my discount brokers page to get a a list of the most popular discount brokers.
- A brief overview of Peer Lending.
Personal Finance Books
I’ve read a lot of books about personal finance, but there are a few that I just have to mention on this page. They’ve really helped me learn more about God’s way of managing money as well as helped me learn a lot of great practical tips.
- The Total Money Makeover, by Dave Ramsey
- The Money Map: A Proven 7 Step Guide to True Financial Freedom, by Howard Dayton
- Your Money Counts, by Howard Dayton
- Debt Free Living, by Larry Burkett
- The Soundmind Investing Handbook, by Austin Pryor
- Money, Purpose, Joy: The Proven Path to Uncommon Financial Success, by Matt Bell
- Money & Marriage: A Complete Guide for Engaged and Newly Married Couples, by Matt Bell
You might also like my Amazon personal finance bookstore. I regularly keep it updated with my favorite books and periodicals.
I consider it an honor to volunteer my my time to help others learn and apply biblical financial principles to their finances. My coaching also includes plenty of practical tips such as helping people create a budget, pay off debt and more. Visit Crown MoneyLife Mentoring to find a coach and get started.